For the Gravy
- 1 cup(s) Diced onion1 cup(s)
- 1 cup(s) Diced green bell pepper1 cup(s)
- 1 Tbsp. Minced garlic1 Tbsp.
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter3 Tbsp.
- 3 Tbsp. All-purpose flour3 Tbsp.
- 2 cup(s) Whole milk2 cup(s)
- 1 pkg(s) Frozen shoestring french fries1 pkg(s)
- For the Sausage
- 12 oz. Pkg. Farmland Original Pork Sausage Roll12 oz.
- 1 Tbsp. Cooking oil, or as needed1 Tbsp.
- 1 pn. Ground nutmeg1 pn.
- 1 pn. Cayenne pepper1 pn.
- 1 Fine sea salt1
For the Topping
- 1 cup(s) Grated cheddar cheese1 cup(s)
- 1 Bunch of scallions, chopped1
Sauté onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender and set aside.
In heavy-bottomed sauce pot, heat butter until melted and then whisk in flour. Continue whisking until mixture has completely homogenized; then stir in milk. Continue whisking to incorporate completely and remove any lumps.
Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring continuously, until milk has thickened. Add salt and pepper.
Fold in sautéed vegetables and set aside.
Cook french fries according to package directions.
While french fries are cooking, heat heavy-bottomed skillet or sauté pan and add about 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. Crumble sausage into pan and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
Add sausage into gravy, along with nutmeg and cayenne; season with salt.
When french fries come out of oven, make sure they are crispy; then toss lightly with fine sea salt.
Portion french fries out onto individual plates, or position on a platter, family-style. Top with gravy and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Finish with chopped scallions.